Monday, August 25, 2008

Berry Season

I was in Oregon this weekend for a wedding and I had a great time. While passing through Vancouver, even though the city was sort of weirding me out, I actually felt good for the first time about moving back there. It must have been the sun. But today, when I returned to cold and rainy Whitehorse, the pang of sadness about my departure somehow seemed sharper. In what might be a continuing series, this is post #2 on things I will miss about living in Whitehorse.

I will miss my garden. More accurately, I will miss the garden that Ben planted and cared for. The cool, cloudy summer hasn't done the vegetables any favours, but I still love pulling carrots from the garden and tomatoes from the greenhouse.

However, the rain seems to have been exceptionally good for the Saskatoon berries. Last year we didn't get a single berry from the bushes in the yard. This year, and just this past week or so, LOTS of the beautiful purple berries have come out. They're delicious!
And it seems that not only do I, the human, think these berries are tasty, but so too does my canine companion, Mingus. Last year I watched him snuffle out cranberries when Sierra and I went berry picking, but tonight was over the top. He approaches the bush and strips it of its fruit. If he needs to, he lifts a paw to bat the branch down and then licks it clean. I'm totally not happy with the loss of my fruit, but I'm awfully impressed with the skill and high cute factor of my dog. Observe:






1 comment:

Danix said...

Moving can be hard, it certainly was for me perhaps exacerbated by the fact that I had no say in it. I have to say though that I miss more than just my garden, I miss the old scent of the city I grew up in, the chatter with familiar colloqial language, yet I find myself somehow a tourist today in the city that watched me grow up...
I will write more on that later...