Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Last _________

Fill in the blank because I have been hyper aware of this being my last week in the Yukon. With almost everything I do, I think to myself "this is my last _____" in Whitehorse. Then I get all choked up and teary. It's not a lot of fun, to be honest.

I had imagined I would post about all my favourite Yukon things and what I will miss about living here. But it gets me so depressed I'm not sure I can do it. Vancouver is going to be great - I know it is - I'm just not ready to move back there yet. I'm sad because I know that even if we ever move back here to Whitehorse, it won't be the same life that I have had for the last year and a half. It's true what they say: you can never go home again. I may come back to live here, but if I come back, it won't be coming back to the exact set of circumstances - the same job, the same friends, the same house - which have made being here so awesome. Things change. Friends will have kids, houses are bought and sold, jobs change, weekend activities are modified. I would never want my life to be frozen in time, but this has been a really happy period in my life and I'm sad to see it go. Life goes on, but I'm having trouble accepting that this week.

The one thing that seems to consistently make me emotional, however, is our gorgeous, gorgeous landscape. I think that is what I am most in love with here. I can't explain it. There are possibly places more beautiful, but the Yukon has crawled under my skin and affects my psyche more than any other place ever has. I cry first because it is so beautiful and then because I have to leave it. I thought I would end this blog post with a few of my favourite images of the Yukon to make my point in a way that I seem unable to do with language.








2 comments:

Cheasty said...

hey, found you through Up In Alaska, just wanted to say that I love your pictures, and good luck during the move. trying to be a better North American citizen, i memorized all the Canadian provinces and capitals a few years ago, but the only one that stuck has been Whitehorse. I've always wanted to see it, so I'm glad I stopped by today!

OneMoreMile said...

I know how you feel. My love for the Alaskan landscape (particularly the interior) runs deep. There are times when I gaze across this piece of earth I've come to think of as my own, and come almost to tears for my love of it. We may leave these places, but they never leave us. I hope you return to the north someday, and may it be all that it is now.