Sunday, March 8, 2009

Even more about employment

My plan to commute, at least sometimes, to work via transit will be short-lived.  It took me 1:45h (yes, one HOUR and 45 MINUTES) to get home on Friday via Skytrain and then bus.  I could probably shave 5-10 minutes off that if I checked schedules and spent less time waiting for a train to arrive, but still.  On this map, I go from Production Way (yellow) to YVR, the airport (red).

Strangely, I'm not all that bummed about it.  It's just another factor in my evolving feeling that maybe Vancouver really isn't where I should be right now.  Don't get me wrong - I can love city-life, transit, people and general urbanity.  But I am just not that interested in it these days.  We're working on a new plan and, fingers crossed, we might see some life changes in the coming months.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Interesting. The worst for me was a 50 minute commute that I did on bike for like 2 years. But, yeah, that's way too much.

Jack

http://adventuresinvoluntarysimplicity.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Communting was one of the things that caused me to snap and eventually move to Lasqueti. Now it's about a 4 hour communte to Vancouver, but I only have to do it every two weeks! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Meandering Michael said...

The fear of a daily two-hour commute (or more) was a major factor in my decision to move north.

Good luck with your plan, whatever it may be!