Sunday, December 20, 2009

Recap of the noughties

10:09 sunrise
15:47 sunset

With the end of 2009 and the decade drawing near, I am going to use this post to reminisce a bit about the past 10 years. In 2000 I turned 27 years old. In some ways I can hardly believe that I am 36 years old now. When I look back at the photos from a decade ago I feel like I look practically like a child. In particular I feel that the last 2 or 3 years have aged me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just reality.

In an effort to not bore everyone to tears, I'll try and keep it short-ish and sweet: one personally significant or memorable event in each year, 2000-2009. Add photos for theatrical effect.

2000 - Drove with my mom from Calgary to Vancouver. Probably the first of our now annual "do something interesting together once/year plan." This is us between Calgary and Banff.


2001 - Started my first "real" job as an archivist. Oddly enough, my first day was September 11th.

2002 - Took
an amazing month-long trip to Guatemala and Belize. This was taken in the Lago de Atitlán area.

2003 - I got married and my nephew was born (I know, that's 2, but c'mon: those are biggies!). Cheesy wedding photo (which I do love) taken by Marilyn McEwan on Chesterman Beach, Tofino.





2004 - Moved to Prescott, Arizona.

2005 - Hiked the Grand Canyon, fell in love with the desert, made some American friends who I still miss, brought Mingus the dog into our life. This photo was taken on a camping trip at Havasupai.



2006 - Bought a condo. (See 2007 - sold condo).

2007 - Moved to Whitehorse, Yukon. Learned to ride a mountain bike. Fell madly in love with life in the north.

2008 - Took an amazing month long trip to Thailand and Cambodia. Mmmmm warm vacations. This was taken at our hotel (hut?) on the island of Koh Tao.


2009 - Bought a house. This was, obviously, taken in the summer. That green seems long, long gone when it's -29C out tonight.

Shall I make predictions for 2010? Nah. Aside from an anticipated warm vacation in January, I really don't know what the year will bring. But I feel it's gonna be good. I really do.

2 comments:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

Cool, you've done a lot of fun stuff!

kirsten said...

I'm not sure I can remember what I've done with the last decade.. lol! good on you - keep adventuring!