Monday, March 1, 2010

Capsule Wardrobe Challenge

8:00 sunrise
18:25 sunset

I don't blog about my closet very often, but I do occasionally participate in and lurk lots on the wardrobe_remix group. I feel sort of torn about fashion and clothes generally because....well, I guess it seems vain and narcissistic and I feel self-conscious about that. On the other hand, what you wear is just another form of self-expression and let's be honest, even for people who don't care too much about their appearance, they still aren't going to let somebody else pick out their clothes.

Anyhow, on the remix today I noticed a few of my contacts talking about the "capsule wardrobe contest." Curious, I looked into it a bit and found out that it's an idea promulgated by The Small Fabric of My Life's blog and it sounds kinda neat. Here's the dealio:

Choose ten items of clothing from your wardrobe and mix and match them for five days between Monday March 1st and Friday March 5th. You can have any combination of shoes, dresses, skirts, tops and jackets as long as it adds up to ten individual items. You are also allowed five accessories which include jewellery, scarves, bag, belts etc. Underwear and hosiery do not come under the ten items and five accessories.

Unfortunately, I was already dressed and ready for work when I saw this today, so I am stuck with three pieces I might not have otherwise chosen. But, I am going to play along. I won't post each photo as I go, but rather will post all outfits at the end of the week. Here's what I am choosing. The first four items I wore today:

1. Wide leg dress pants
2. Long sleeved thermal tshirt
3. Short sleeved brown sweater
4. Brown pleather boots
5. Long denim skirt
6. Brown cardigan
7. Lime green tshirt
8. Orange tunic
9. Blue button down
10. Brown heeled shoes

As for accessories:

1. "Pomegranate" pin (below and worn today)
2. Red polka dot belt
3. Multi-coloured plastic chunky necklace
4 & 5 - as yet undecided
4. Purple scarf
5. Long fleece coat


On another note, Rendezvous was a lot of fun this past weekend and I will try and write a post about it later in the week.

1 comment:

narly said...

Jen! Here's the article / project I was talking about: http://www.theuniformproject.com/home/about.html