Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dreams of the past

7:50 sunrise
20:23 sunset

Dreams. I had a whack of them last night. I'm don't really understand why some nights are full of reverie and others are a blank slate, but I generally like it when I dream.

Last night's images were filled with scenes invoving my grandparents' house. It's a place where I spent quite a lot of time as a little kid and even as a teenager. And of course now, as an adult renovating my own house, I frequently think about some of the fantastic modern design pieces they furnished their home with. What wouldn't I give for my grandma's dining room light fixture, her side and coffee tables, her black leather chairs.

Last night I dreamt about hugging my grandpa...except that he was tiny, just my height. In my dream it was just part of him being old. When he was alive he was in the 6' range, thin and long-legged. I also dreamt about their house, specifically about their walls which were (in reality) covered in wood panelling (can you say built in 1971?!). My dream amped up the disco factor by turning their walls into gold sparkly wood panelling - imagine wood grain crossed with a gold bowling ball or maybe nailpolish.

Anyhow, I have no idea what all of that means, aside from the fact that I am thinking about family and I still miss my grandparents. Maybe I'll go google dream interpretations now. Until then, I'll leave you with this - one of a couple of dresses I have recently purchased from Small Earth Vintage's shop. My grandmother didn't wear dresses very often, but she was always smartly attired and I like to think she'd approve of my penchant for secondhand items. Something about this dress even reminds me of her.

Bring on spring so I can wear this beauty!

2 comments:

Maven said...

Hey, you need to send me your measurements so I can start personal shopping some stuff for you. Email me!

kirsten said...

I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, they're always weird. There have been several instances where I've woken up in the middle of the night convinced that RJ is someone else and I really should put some pyjamas on or something.. Usually, by the time I manage to find & put on the PJ's I'm awake enough to realize that it's just RJ :) Sounds like you're coveting some vintage home decor in your dreams?!

cute dress :)