Sunday, February 6, 2011

Regional Dialects Meme

8:58 sunrise
17:51 sunset

I finally got a chance to record the dialects meme that has been making its way around the interwebs. The light in my video is kinda all blown out and I think I look a bit crazy but whatever. This is supposed to be about how I sound not how I look, right?

The deal with this meme is the following:

Say these words:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught
Now answer these questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

So, listen up and enjoy. I'm off now to hear how everyone else sounds.
video

4 comments:

Maven said...

Yay!

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

Fun! You're right there were only a few differences I heard. Mostly the o sounds. When you said "out" while ab libbing I thought it was cute, totally the way I remember hearing it in Degrassi Jr. High. :)

I think several of the ones that were like "what wouldn't you call it?" were supposed to be southern influences... like "yer a spittin' emij o yer muther" or something. :)

They say the weirdest things down here... years ago when I was doing a CAD training in the Tennessee mountains I was completely befuddled by my adult trainees who kept saying "mash" in reference to data entry. As in, "you mean I need to mash this button here?"

Honorio said...

Funny post and very useful for a Spaniard trying to learn English.
I hope you upload more like this.

nicole said...

Great Job Jenn! I think it's TP'ing the house. Ive never done it either. Now that I buy the Toilet paper I would certainly never do it. So kids if you're listening do it while you're young and have no idea of the cost of three ply!