Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fish Lake Ride

8:03 sunrise
20:13 sunset

It was -25C when I woke up yesterday morning but Environment Canada was calling for a high of -4C. You can't trust weather forecasts up here but I was hopeful that it would indeed warm up to something resembling spring. My friend Julie was organizing a snowshoeing outing and I was just getting ready for that when Tony and Sierra called to say they were going to go for a ride out at Fish Lake and did I want to come? Heck yeah! I had never ridden my bike out at Fish Lake (in the winter at least) and although I was told that the route was very straightforward (stay on the left side of the lake once you leave the parking lot) I wanted to go with someone in the know for my first time.

By the time we started turning the pedals it was just after 1pm and it had warmed up to -11C. It actually felt balmy. Sierra insisted that I leave my puffy vest in the car as she knew (and she was right) that I would overheat in a nano-second. One of our TransRockies rules (well, one of herTR rules) was that she got final say on what I was wearing. I think this started for fashion-first reasons (ie: how much pink can I make Jenn wear) but it ended up as a functional necessity since I often over-dress and have to take off layer after layer to be comfortable.



Three dog teams passed us on our way out. I still think encounters like this are a really cool aspect of living here.

The trail was in excellent condition - like a snow-covered highway - and we pedaled off into the sunshine. The pace was perfect for me (Sierra isn't feeling well and Tony was just out for a tour) and it took us just over an hour to get to the end of the lake. We then climbed up into the alpine for some lovely views including this one of Fish Lake. I don't think I have ever seen it from this direction.
Tony brought peanut butter cups for snacks and I think I have decided they will be my new go-to winter activity food. Mine tasted extra delicious after our efforts.
We made it back to the parking lot around 5pm and I was more tired than I had anticipated I would be. The ride wasn't difficult but something about being on a bike in the snow just tires me out. I do wish I had brought a GPS or something to track how far we went as I really have no idea and I am curious about the feasibility of going out further into the alpine on a day trip. Tony mentioned a cabin and that has piqued my curiosity....

Last shot of the day - this beauty is thanks to Tony. That's Starbuck the wonder dog leading us along the lake. I had such a great day yesterday that it almost (almost) makes me want winter to last just a little bit longer...

2 comments:

eyebex said...

Sounds like fun ride. I have never been to the far end of the lake and beyond. It's on my list now to do before the lake melts.

Jennoit said...

It was fun. I'd like to go further than we did on the trail to (I think) Rose Lake? Just not enough time/energy this past weekend. The trail is so hard-packed that a regular bike would be happy enough on the lake. Not so sure past that.