Monday, July 4, 2011

Tramps Like Us...

4:37 sunrise
23:33 sunset

I'm late to jump on the Born to Run bandwagon but I found the book surprisingly inspiring.

I kept folding over pages in various places that I wanted to come back to and think about. They may sound contrived, when reproduced out of context like this, but the more I think about them, the more I pause on these statements, the more I think they are really important.


Ask nothing from your running, in other words, and you'll get more than you ever imagined.



Instead of cringing from fatigue, you embrace it. You refuse to let it go. You get to know it so well you're not afraid of it anymore.



Make friends with pain and you will never be alone.



It's a great book. Even if you don't run, I think you'll find it a solid read. And yes, I am going for a run tonight.

2 comments:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

I had checked that book out of the library and ended up turning it in overdue. Except I didn't get very far in it. I don't blame the book, I do think it is inspirational, especially those lines that you share here! Maybe the Cliff Notes version would have been better for me. :) I just couldn't get into it- I think I wasn't in a reading phase at the time. May try it again some other time.

Making friends with pain and embracing fatigue are certainly things I'm finding myself dealing with lately.

Jennoit said...

Oh interesting that you didn't finish it! I do think it got better as it went on (if you are considering trying it again).