Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A 60s Wedding

6:33 sunrise
21:33 sunset

On August 24, 1968 my parents got married in a Lutheran church in Kitchener, Ontario.  While it's true that they got divorced some 15ish years later, today would have been their 43rd anniversary.  And divorce or no divorce, I adore the photos of their wedding.  I suppose in some weird way looking at photos that commemorate a failed marriage is a bit odd but I can't help loving the professional photography and all the details in everyone's outfits.  I love an occasion to get dressed up!

Here my grandpa is walking my mom in to the chapel.  I think he looks so dapper in his suit and slim grey tie. My mom's dress hung, for years, in the closet of a downstairs bedroom at my grandparents' house.  When I was a little girl I used to try it on from time to time.  I didn't have any grand visions of my own wedding or any desire to be princess-like or anything.  I just liked checking out my mom's "old stuff."  The dress was plain - very much my mom's style then and now - with a bow at the empire waist.  Sometime between being a teenager and an adult, my mom's dress disappeared from the closet and that has always kinda bummed me out.  I don't know if I would have worn it to my own wedding (is that bad luck?) but it would have been a neat option.

Here are my both my parents.  They look so cute (and so young!).


This shot to me is like a still from Mad Men.  This was taken at the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary building which was built, in 1963, on the campus of what is now Wilfred Laurier University. They were married in the chapel which is the glassed in area behind them.

This shot appeals to me because we get to look at the back of these women's dresses which is a bit of a unique angle on things.  Check out the bow in the hair of the woman talking to my mom.  And I guess mustard yellow was in that year?


So happy un-anniversay mom and dad?  Thanks for letting me keep your wedding album.

1 comment:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

It's SO Mad Men! I love the suits men wore then. Your mom looks lovely. I love how simple and elegant wedding dresses so often were in the 1960s.