Saturday, August 20, 2011

Beach Nostalgia

6:23 sunrise
21:45 sunset

The weather so far in August has been craptacular.  Autumn is very much around the corner but rather than just cooler temperatures and some yellow leaves, we have had lots of rain.  Makes me cranky.

So I thought I would cheer myself up with a little post on summer.  When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in Southampton, Ontario at my grandparents' place.  When my mom was growing up she spent all her summers there too.


This is my mom, age 10, on what I swear is the same swing set I played on.  At the very least, I played on this same beach.


Then there's this awesome 60s photo of my mom and aunt outside their cottage.  The cottage was sold by the time I was born but my grandparents bought another, year-round house, that was still close to the beach.

I can't actually see much of my current self in this 2 year old version of me.  This beach looked the same throughout my childhood but I haven't been there in more than a decade.  

Ah - another classic Jenn shot.  The beach and an Archie comic.  If I was lucky, I might get to have a can of coke too!  My grandfather died in 1994 and my grandmother two years later.  Eek - that's not a decade ago, that's nearly 20 years!  My mom went through Southampton this summer and took my nephew to the beach.  She said it made her nostalgic.  Old photographs like this certainly do the same for me.

Edited to add: As I posted this, I noticed the date: August 20th.  It would have been my grandma's 96th birthday today.  So this post seems rather fitting.  Perhaps I am thinking of the beach and her house and my summers with my grandparents all because it's her birthday today.

2 comments:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

I love these photos! And I can definitely see you in your mom. The Archie comic made me laugh--I used to read them, too, in between playing games on the Atari. :D

Meandering Michael said...

You have EXCELLENT taste in literature. There's nothing like the classics.