Friday, August 26, 2011

I need running tunes

6:38 sunrise
21:37 sunset

In two weeks I have to run a half marathon.  Actually, it’s only 20km but that’s far enough as far as I am concerned.  It will be my 5th appearance in the Klondike Road Relay from Skagway, AK to Whitehorse.

I used to sort of like running.  I got a sense of accomplishment out of it and I often felt good after a run.  These things do sometimes still happen but I spend more time not wanting to run than I do actually enjoying the after-effects.

I have been saying that this is my last year for the KRR.  I’m guessing that my friend Julie will try and hold me to that.  

In the meantime, I have rediscovered running with music and it seems to help.  I need to put together 2 hours and 15 minutes of awesome running tunes together.  Can you help?  I’ve got a few core tunes I’d like to include and yeah, they’re of the pop variety.  I’m definitely not into mellow yoga music while running (Ben is – isn’t that cah-rayzee?!).  So a couple of Lady Gaga’s tunes (Bad Romance is my fave), some Jay-Z (Empire State of Mind) and Jessie J (Price Tag).  Don’t Judge!  Music along the lines of The Be Good Tanyas (Light Enough to Travel) or The Killers (All These Things that I've Done) might also do the trick.  Can you help me come up with more.  Please?

7 comments:

Niki said...

Foster the People: Pumped up kicks. I love this song right now and think it could help you some where along those 20 kms.

Niki said...

Adele: Rolling in the deep or Rumor has it. Two of my other favs right now!

Tony said...

I'm obsessed with this Alice in Videoland song that was in Follow Me, called We Are Rebels. If this doesn't make you run faster there is something wrong with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3U7T__1TSQ

Maven said...

I don't listen to music while exercising these days, but I used to really love having Gnarls Barkley on. Also Beyonce's "Get Me Bodied." Oh man and the current Robyn album. It's so good. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Also old Prince, the Ting Tings, the Gossip...I'm thinking of things that all have a great beat and are fun. HALL AND OATES. And I just got the current Fitz and the Tantrums album and it's great. Chaka Khan. Want me to keep going?

If I can figure out a good place to put the stuff on the internets I could make you a mix, if you want.

Jennoit said...

Fabulous! Thanks all!

Niki - Land also suggested Pumped Up Kicks. Really like that tune!

Tony - hmmm, me likely!

Maven - bring on more, yes please! The only negative on that list for me was Hall & Oats. Not even sure why. could be the hair? Bad personal 80s memories? And I'm kind of out of love with Prince at the moment, but that's a me problem.

Lindsay said...

I found you through Jill Homer's blog. I just ran a 16 mile trail race in the Alaska mountains and needed a little musical inspiration to really hammer it out. I also did the first leg of the Klondike Road Relay a few years ago - which leg are you doing? Here are a few of my favs:
Stretch - Ryan Montbleau Band
This is the Last Time - Keane
Babylon of the Occident - The Shanghai Restoration Project
Ragged Wood - Fleet Foxes
Dog Days are Over - Florence & the Machine
Not for Long - honeyhoney
Your Rocky Spine (good for mountain running!)- Great Lakes Swimmers
Janglin - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Home - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Truth - Alexander
Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
Windows are Rolled Down - Amos Lee
Between Two Lungs - Florence & the Machine
Cosmic Love - Florence & the Machine
Grown Ocean - Fleet Foxes
Dig a Little Deeper - Peter Bjorn and John
Good Life - One Republic
Tiger Teeth - Paper Route
You - Steve Martin and Dixie Chicks
Run - Vampire Weekend

nicool said...

Jenn

You need
Foster the People: Helena Beat
Deathcabforcutie - you are a tourist
MGMT - Electric Feel
Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
Young the Giant - my body
The Stills - Im with you