Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's my sister's birthday today

Today is my sister Andrea’s birthday. She is 5 years, 3 months and 3 days younger than I am which makes her 33 years old today.

Having a sister is complicated business. At least, in my family it is. Andy and I aren’t particularly good friends. Actually, if I am being totally honest, we aren’t friends at all. We don’t particularly like each other and I'd even go so far as to say that there isn't much respect between us either. The best I can come up with is that I think there is a sense of loyalty to each other underneath our disinterest. Like I said, it’s complicated.

However, I want to share a few photos of us throughout the years. Call it a bit of birthday nostalgia for my sister and a wish for us to perhaps one day figure things out.  Remember that if you click on any of the photos you will get an embiggened version to look at.

Here we are with my mom in Florida, Christmas 1978. I am wearing a red Snoopy watch that was a gift that year. I remember Woodstock being on the on the second hand, which I thought was cool. Andrea is almost 6 months old here and I'm 5 and half.
I actually quite love this next photo. It was taken on my grandparents' back deck and I'm guessing it's the summer of 1980 which makes us 2 and 7 years old. I can only laugh at our matching bowl cuts. I think I went through a protective phase with Andrea and I am told that, for a little while when I was around 8 years old, I actually liked playing with her. And there's Snoopy again. I think my grandparents liked that comic strip because the creator's last name was the same as theirs.
Fast forward a few years and here we are as teens! Well, Andrea's 12 and I'm 17 but close enough. I remember thinking those flowers looked so cute in her hair and I was vaguely jealous.
This photo was taken at Peggy's Cove, less than 24 hours before Swiss Air flight 111 crashed into the ocean mere kilometres from here. That's a horrible memory, but I have good ones from this trip. Andrea was starting her second year at Dalhousie University and I drove her out to Halifax from Ontario. She was moving into a great big lovely house with several other women. I remember thinking she was attending school in a super cool place.


And this is the most recent one I can find. It was taken in April 2010 in Nassau where Andrea currently lives. We don't see each other much - due partly to our disinterest in each other but also due to the ridiculous geographic distance between us. I managed to make this trip because I was in Ottawa for work and the flight from Ottawa to Nassau is considerably more reasonably priced than is the flight from Whitehorse to Nassau.



So Andy, I wish you a very happy birthday. May your next year be filled with adventure (and I think it will - considering that you are contemplating a teaching contract in Hong Kong!) and happiness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment but it did not show up...maybe this time. Thanks for the bday wishes but that pic of me with the gap is horrible....let me guess...u love the gap!
We may not like each other that much but it is getting better right!

Jennoit said...

It's not horrible - it's cute!