Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Back from the big city

9:21 sunrise
16:11 sunset

Visiting Vancouver is sort of like going home for me.  Except I don't live there anymore and, to be honest, I don't actually miss it much.  Well, I miss the food and I miss the shopping.  I can't believe I have just typed that: I miss the shopping.  Ew.  To buy just for the sake of buying things - the epitome of why our society is going to hell.  But if I am honest with myself, I love digging around in second hand stores to find some polyester dress that no one else could love and I enjoy trying to find that one item of clothing that will make me look even marginally stylish on the streets of Whitehorse.

Don't worry, this hat isn't it.  Although I did think it was rather cute.  Not practical enough, however, for a Yukon winter.  And besides, I already have a frog hat.


I was working with a small budget on this trip and I was determined to stick to it.  I'm happy to report that I was successful in that plan and I still managed to eat well, drink well, and I acquired a few little treats for myself.  We ate Vietnamese for lunch on Friday and you can see the very cute bag I'm carrying which I picked up at the Salvation Army thrift store for $2.99.

My big splurge ($22.50) came at Baker's Dozen Antiques on Main Street.  They seem to specialize in old toys and I confess that a cabinet full of teddy bears and other animals did distract me for awhile.  But oddly enough, it was all the stuff they had on display for Christmas that really caught my attention.  This is weird since I haven't really celebrated or paid much attention to the holiday for years.  Last December was the first time we had a tree since we lived in Arizona.  However, I am all about nostalgia these days. And even though I have quite the hate-on for celebrating a religious holiday when I am an aethiest, I guess still have positive memories, traditions and feelings associated with Christmas.  That, or I just like old stuff (which is a distinct possibility).   

Anyhow, there were boxes and boxes of old Christmas ornaments in the back of the shop and I dug through them all.  Most were in their original packaging and I am sure that the shop's proprietor picked them up for a song.  The resale price wasn't quite so cheap so I pawed through the boxes and selected 6 ornaments to bring home.  

 I guess this means we'll be getting a tree this year.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yay Christmas wins!