Sunday, February 19, 2012

Duelling Cameras

8:31 sunrise
17:57 sunset

Another sunny, warm Sunday meant that it was another day for a snow bike ride.  I still have my friend's fancy-pants camera and I thought I'd try taking it with me to see if there is any chance I would ever carry a DSLR on a bike ride.  Worked well today but I think I'd worry too much about breaking it to carry it regularly.

Sierra brought her camera too - not quite a DSLR but a compact camera that allows you to change lenses and generally takes high quality images without feeling like you are carrying a child around in your backpack.

When all was said and done we enjoyed a fast lap around Quickie and took around 100 images between the two of us.  I downloaded Sierra's photos and she grabbed mine and then came her idea for a blog post: we each choose our favourite five images from the day and our reasons why.

I easily whittled mine down to a top 13.  But 13 isn't five, even in my math world.  So then came the hard part - what is it that makes me love a particular photograph more than another?  Why do I like some of these and not others?  Aside from basic things like an image (usually) being in focus, what makes one photo 'better' than another?  Let me show you what I picked.


Taken by me: I like that both Julie and Kris appear in this one.  I also like the colour of the trees around and behind them.


Taken by Sierra:  Again, Julie and Kris.  There were a few similar to this to choose from but this was my favourite.  I like it for the landscape orientation, the fact that you can see Guinness (Paula's dog), and the clear view of the trail.


Taken by me:  This is a bit of a weird choice but I like it because it makes me smile.  I take a lot of self-portraits and this is an example of how sometimes they can be bad but sorta good.  I didn't crop my face out, I just didn't get it in the frame in the first place.  I chose it because it is still bike-themed but looks different from the others.  And by the way, I rode off with my sunglasses still on my helmet after this. Nearly lost 'em.


Taken by Sierra:  This and the next photo are my top two favourites.  I love the trees in this and the light (sooooo pretty!) and I like where I am positioned in the shot.  (Can you see where Sierra propped her bike up?)


Taken by me:  I've been a bit obsessed with lens flares since spending time in Arizona.  I like that the dogs are visible and so to is Julie's face but mostly, it's the sun in this one that does it for me.


I take photographs not only because I like pretty pictures but also because I like to document things.   A little voice inside my head often tells me that less is more and that I don't need to post 10 photographs of one particular bike ride.  In fact, if there are no especially stellar images from that ride, I probably don't need to post the photographs at all.  But I can't help it. I want to capture the feel of the day, all participants who were there, the landscape as well as the more detailed shot.  I'm not saying I succeed today (neither Sierra not Paula appear in any of the above shots, which bothers me) but that sentiment does guide how I choose what to keep and what to delete.  The technically "better" photo is not always my favourite.

Wanna see what the bike-wife chose?  Me too.  I'm curious to see if we picked any of the same images.  Head on over to Mrs North 60 and let her know what you think.

5 comments:

Sierra said...

Only 1 pick is identical, and I cropped it so that you can barely tell.

Your other 4 choices were all in my top 10, but I whittled them out for various reasons.

Sierra said...

P.S - the only reason I didn't use the one of you going through the Aspens is because I already had you in a solo shot. I cropped it more like a panoramic photo and it looked cool

Jennoit said...

It was a fun exercise, wasn't it? I was going to use the aspen photo that you picked because I felt dumb having 2 of me but I would have then had 3 of Kris and Julie and still none of you or Paula.

Also, I think you chose a slightly different sun shot of Julie and the dogs? But you did some nice things editing these. Aside from cropping, mine all are SOC.

Sierra said...

I don't even know what SOC means. That being said, I often edit snow pics because of the weird white balance thing.

Now that I've fully read your post (instead of instantly commenting). I also think it's funny that without talking to you, we came up with an almost identical intro, talking about how we would pick. No wonder we're bike-married.

Jennoit said...

Hahah, SOC = Straight Out Of the Camera. I guess it's SOOC.