Friday, February 3, 2012

I can see Mexico from here

No really, I can see Mexico from my campsite.  We're at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument which shares a 50km stretch of border with Mexico.  The campground in which we spent our first night was a mere 6.5km from the town of Sonoyta.



It's beautiful here - spectacular morning and evening light and enough sunshine during the day to worry about getting a sunburn.  It's isolated, too, which surprises me given that Tucson is only 200km away and Phoenix about the same distance.  I've borrowed a friend's camera and Ben seems to be committed to taking photos of me taking photos.  Le sigh.



Last night I was woken up by what I can only assume was the hoot-hooting of a great horned owl.  After all the warnings by park staff and our guidebook I half expected to be woken up by a thirsty Mexican migrant crossing through the park.  But no, it was just a bird.


The area south of Interstate 10 in Arizona is an odd place.  The border patrol drives up and down the highway and we drove through checkstops where I was asked for my passport.  Add to this the aid stations scattered through the desert and I felt like I was in another country.  Not the USA, not Canada, somewhere.... else.  That said, it is beautiful and I'm looking forward to more camping among the cactus.  But first - a few days up north with friends in Prescott.

2 comments:

Sierra said...

Have you ever heard the American Life episode about the Minutemen who patrol the border? One of the best ever. I want you to get caught up in the drama of it all.

chief gabril said...

Wow! Its really amazing campsite, there are many facilities available in this camp. It best place for picnic. Nice blog dear!

garage flooring philadelphia