Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wardrobe Bike-mix

6:15 sunrise
21:54 sunset

At its best, a Whitehorse summer is filled with long, warm, sunny days and light that bathes our mountains in warm shades of yellow and pink.  At its worst, a Whitehorse summer probably resembles a pacific coast winter.

We haven't had much of a summer this year.  Yes, there have been a few awesome sunny and warm days but, they have been few and far between.   So this week, after enjoying some proper east coast hotness in Ontario, it has been fabulous to see the sun in the sky at home and to be basking in +20C days.

Tonight's ride was a slow one.  Mingus and I went for a tour of our neighbourhood trail - Quickie.  At our pace there is plenty of time to practice cornering, to force myself to use only my middle chainring, and to really pay attention to my surroundings.  And oh - those surroundings tonight seemed especially beautiful. The pungent scent of trees and ground cover after a few days of sun is quite possibly the purest, most calming and delicious smell there is.  I wish I had a better vocabulary or narrative skill so that I could make you understand.  The light is becoming more diffuse as the days get shorter and the way it shines through the trees somehow it seems to be everywhere at once.  It wraps golden rays around you, on the path in front of you, and it glows above you all at the same time.  

When Mingus and I set out tonight, I knew it was going to be gorgeous on the trail so I brought my camera. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the camera's battery.  Oops.

So instead of looking at the world with thoughts of what would make a good photograph, I just took it all in through the camera of my eye.  I felt simultaneously calm and exhilerated, restored, even, from a crap day at work.  Nature is good for us.  This is not news.  

When I returned home tonight and dragged my camera outside, this is what I took - a wardrobe remix style shot of what I typically wear when I go for a ride.  With so few posts from me lately I figured why not blend the two aspects of my blog (bikes and clothes) into one entry.  With the popularity of micro-blogging and twitter, it's all about maximum blog efficiency, right?



1 comment:

Nicole Scott said...

I could almost see it! Nice post jenn! And socks!