Thursday, October 17, 2013

Portland by cocktail

8:47 sunrise
18:45 sunset

I had a great trip down to BC and Oregon.  I had lots of time to catch up with friends and the weather, across the entire 10 days, was amazing.

As usual, I've posted lots of photos over on flickr, even though its new look and functionality are kinda driving me crazy.  I've invested so much effort into that site in terms of how I share my photos that at the moment I can't see backing out.  At least, not yet.

So ya, I had a really wonderful, relaxing time away.  Portland, especially, I thoroughly enjoyed since I hadn't been to the city for probably 8 years, although I have been on the Oregon coast (Lincoln city and Seaside) more recently.  Along with my friend Sierra I biked, shopped, ate and drank my way around the city.  It was awesome.

I wish I had taken photos of all the amazing meals we had or even of all the spectacular drinks we imbibed but you will have to be satisfied with a more limited selection.

Breakfast day #1 - Tasty n Sons on N. Williams Avenue

As Sierra called them, these were adult mimosas.  Not just oj and sparkling, these babies had that little extra oomph.  On the left, a Summer of '75 (sparkling, gin, watermelon, lemon, st. germain) and on the right, a Flamingo (sparkling, vodka, grapefruit, campari). Delicious.

Breakfast cocktails at Tasty n Sons

Afternoon cocktails day #2 - Teardrop Lounge on NW Everett

The best thing about our airbnb rental (and it was pretty cute) was that it was just up the street from this awesome place.  While we fully intended to explore bars around the city, we ended up coming back to this one every afternoon for a cocktail.... or two.  Behold the Race Day Cup.  Made only in large portion servings (for 2-6 people) this consists of macchu pisco, luxardo maraschino, cherry heering, lemon, oleo-saccharum and brut rosé sparkling. Garnished with cucumber and rose petals.

Race Day Cup at Teardrop Lounge

Breakfast day #3 - Por Que No? on SE Hawthorne Blvd

It probably exists at Canadian Mexican restaurants but horchata will always remind me of roadside taco stands in Arizona. This Horchata Borracha was made with rum. Yum! Also on the table we have a Bloody Maria (made with with tequila instead of vodka and the most amazing garnish ever), and I believe a Rum & Agua Fresca.  The pink drink with lime is a non-alcoholic juice the combination of flavours I have sadly forgotten.

Breakfast bevvies on the patio


It was probably a good thing that we were only there for three full days.  We gave our livers a gentle, all-day kind of workout but, I suppose that at some point, all good things have to come to an end.  But Portland - I'll be back!

No comments: